Charming Myanmar
In my view, Myanmar is a unique country, partly due to its isolation. As tourists, we are kept mostly blind by the induced miseries of the military regime. Several areas are closed off to tourists, whatever the exact reason might be.
Anyway, Myanmar is fascinating. Jaap and I traveled most of the time together with a very nice Spanish couple (Carlos & Gemma). We started the circle in Yangon (capital); we went by bus to the coldness of Kalaw; by foot to inspiring Inle Lake; by taxi to the quietness of Hispaw and to the ancient cities around Mandalay;
By boat to the impressive temple complex of Bagan. Jaap and I are relaxing now on the isolated beaches of Ngwe Saung before returning from Yangon to Bangkok.
The three-day trekking from Kalaw to Inle Lake was a memorable experience. Our guide Alex was very helpful and introduced us to his country by telling many interesting stories. The diverse environment kept changing. The local people (several ethnic groups) waved and invited us for drinking tea and even to a funny wedding. We were hearty welcomed at a farm and a monastery for spending the nights.
Finally, we reached Inle Lake where I wrote a poem about. This real-life Atlantis is a world unto itself where boat drivers use their feet to steer their vehicles in a breathtaking manner. Another memorable moment was Amarapura, world’s largest teak bridge. Monks invited us to join them to their monastery. There we had an interesting conversation with an English Buddhist teacher.
I will bother you just a bit more. I am deeply impressed (again) by the serenity of Myanmar. The country expresses respect and quietness, even the babies and dogs hardly cry. The philosophy of 500.000 monks carries out this message.
The Burmese people belong to the nicest I ever met. They know how to smile. I will never forget the faces of the smiling girls decorated with thanakha (yellow make-up). This optismistic attitude brings hope for the future!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home